Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Psalm 23 . . . A Psalm of David!


1  The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2  He makes me lie down in green pastures,
       He leads me beside quiet waters,
3  He restores my soul.
 He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name’s sake.
4  Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
 I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
 your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5  You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
 You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6  Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
 and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

       The book of Psalm, chapter 23 is the finest known and well-liked of all the psalms. It is ascribed to King David and is thought to be written towards the end of his life. The psalm is loved by Jews and Christians alike, speaking as it does of God's protection and care. Both traditions use the psalm as a hymn. The Jews used psalm 23 as a focal point for the third meal in the Sabbath rest and on other religious occasions such as in the “Yizkor” - prayers of remembrance. 

        The Christendom has two or three popular melodies that set the psalm to music. The most popular is set to the "Crimond" tune, another being the melody also used in John Newton's "Amazing Grace". Crimond is a village in the northeast of Scotland, located nine miles northwest of the port of Peterhead. and just over two miles from the coast.

        Psalm 23 was written by David during the time he was run after by King Saul. King Saul wanted to kill David because he got jealous of David. He thought that if David died, every favor and blessing David was enjoying would become his. During the time King Saul pursued David . . . David felt tired and rested behind the big rock in Mount Maon. And at that moment while relaxing and leaning on the rock, David closed his eyes and was mesmerized by the goodness of God in His life . . . and that Psalm 23 was written. 

         David’s life was not far from the life we have been into . . . from the experiences we have everyday. We are all sinners, and that’s reality. No one is perfect. No one in the world can claim that he is righteous, that he lives a life of perfection, that his deeds are just right, and that what he had been doing and acting always conform to the principles of God. 

       David was so thankful to God! With all the messes in his life, God’s favor and grace granted David all the success in life . . . Why? Because David has a heart of repentance. He realized and he acknowledged that apart from God, he was nothing. That’s why David was called “a man after God’s own heart.” 

    Truly, David vividly recognized and discovered and was fully persuaded through his declaration in Psalm 23:6 that God’s Loving kindness “will follow him all the days of his life and he will dwell in the house of the Lord forever!”

        It’s like a magnet that wherever we are, no matter what situation we are in, God’s loving kindness will let us get through it all. His Grace and His favor will let us see God’s Amazing Power. Like Apostle Paul, David was totally persuaded that God is able to do exceedingly . . . anything and everything we have laid down to Him. God is indeed, the God of all times . . . our Almighty God!





No comments:

Post a Comment